Monday 2 May 2016

Trying to be a Good Parent - The Crafty Way #2

I thought it was about time I show you another of my 'crafty' parenting tricks.  If you missed #1 then pop by and see my 'well done' wall here.

I don't know about you but I love lists, particularly ones that are useful and I can see at a glance!  I had this unsightly door in my kitchen that I really felt needed a makeover!

I popped to our local DIY shop and bought a tin of blackboard paint (it is cheaper online but I wanted to use it straight away and patience is not one of my strong points!) This one is actually magnetic, don't get too excited though, it only really works for really large light magnets!



I took the door off it's hinges, lay it on the table and got to covering it in gloopy black paint! If your thinking of doing this use a roller, nothing worse that brush strokes!

Once I had done a few coats and it was all dry I rehung the door (it was a very light door thankfully) and got to work with my chalk pen.

Here is the finished door.



The door has evolved over time as we have got used to it.  It started as just a to-do list and shopping list.  I added 4 circles more recently so we could show how we are feeling, it;s a good way for my middle one to explain her emotions.  (she drew daddy's emotion yesterday, he has three noses or rather to be exact two nostrils and a nose!)

We are also doing a parenting course (as I know I mentioned before) and one thing we had to do was devise some house rules.  This actually resulted in many arguments so in the end we settled with the simple 'We take care of people and things'.
The lowest section is a picture frame for the kids to draw in. (it's the most accessible area for them)
I am sure it will be filled with works of chalking genius in no time.

The thing I love most about this board is shopping list.  I know I can't take it with me, I don't have a big enough bag! All I do is take a photo of the shopping part of the door and hey presto I have my list to go without wasting paper!  The shopping list is always kept up to date as we add to it whenever things are out or low.

A word on chalks! I used this chalk pen from Dovecraft to do all the things that I wanted to remain relatively permanent.  It is so smooth to write with and you can easily wipe over to remove normal chalk marks without this being rubbed away!  I have a bowl of normal chalks near the board so we can always add the to board and rub away as needed.




I actually have a few of these pens in stock as my wholesaler requires minimum ordering so if you are interested in one you can buy one here.  The price is reduced down to £2 but I only have 5 left.

I am desperate to for other things to cover in blackboard paint now! 

I am off to share my blog over at Handmade Monday and Creative Mondays, do feel free to pop over and see a few great blogs!

Jenny xxx


6 comments:

  1. Looks good Jenny and saves the drawing on the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking a photo of the shopping list is such a great idea. I've always been put off the idea of a chalk board list for exactly the reason that you can't take it with you. This is such a simple but brilliant idea - why didn't I think of that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love chalkboard paint, I used it many times when my grown kids were small. My husband and I use the photo method for our kitchen wall shopping lists too - we have a whatsapp conv that's called Shopping Lists and we just send a new photo to the conv each time an item is added or bought so the next person to pass a shop knows exactly what's still needed. Sounds a bit ridiculous typing it here but it works for us! - have a great week Chris :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great idea! One to remember for when my little Munchkin is a bit older :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome idea! I love the idea of a chalk door but dont have the capacity to do so at my house.

    ReplyDelete